Old Republic Surety Company
(ORSC) is currently seeking a Senior Contract Underwriter
to join its Contract Underwriting Team
at its Des Moines, IA Location. ORSC
ranks among the nation's top underwriters of contractors' performance and payment bonds, miscellaneous surety, and commercial fidelity, offering thousands of types of bonds. We are growing across the country which is creating new opportunities across the organization.
In general, the Senior Contract Underwriter
produces an underwriting profit and protects against losses by proper risk selection and underwriting of all types of contract surety bonds, within authority limit. This is a fantastic opportunity for an experienced surety bond underwriter to use their entrepreneurial skills to build and maintain their business within an environment that supports growth and success.
Essential duties for the role are as follows:
- Contribute to company profitability and minimize losses by proper acceptance or rejection of all types of bonds, primarily contract bonds, and by effectively underwriting a large volume of submissions and the larger submissions presented to the office.
- Act as liaison between agent, contractor and branch to maintain good public relations and facilitate resolution of underwriting or procedural questions/problems. Maintain good agency relations even when rejecting business by tactful handling of the situation.
- Participate in regular travel of the assigned territory by use of motor vehicle (personal, rental and/or company provided), public transportation and/or airplane. Travel is including, but not limited to, attending agency visits to maintain current business and/or obtain additional business, participating in industry specific events, and meeting with prospective business partners.
- Assist in the coaching and mentoring of Assistant Underwriters to maintain good working relationships with agency plant and assure efficient processing of bonds.
- Conduct field calls on contractors to audit records and files and gather information which can help to assure proper underwriting determinations.
- Monitor and keep current with marketplace changes in economic conditions, law, agency personnel, and underwriting and rating plans of competitors to remain competitive.
- Implement underwriting changes when directed by management or Home Office Underwriters to assure profitability of various classes of business.
- Enter information and maintain the agency database utilizing Customer Relationship Management (CRM) software to assist in the marketing growth objectives of the respective branch and/or home office. Utilize data to grow business.
- Other duties as assigned.
This position requires a High School diploma, or equivalent, and a minimum of three years bond underwriting experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience. The ideal candidate possesses a Bachelor's Degree in Finance or Accounting. Other financial services experience may be considered.
This position requires one to have a driving record that is considered satisfactory as defined by company and/or corporate policy.
Working as an Senior Contract Underwriter
requires one to work independently and effectively within a fast-paced environment. Proficiency with Microsoft (MS) Windows and Office products is necessary. Other skills necessary include excellent oral and written communication skills, strong organizational and accurate proofreading skills, the ability to maintain accurate records, the ability to exercise discretion with confidential information, strong attention to detail, and the ability to use a variety of office equipment.
Old Republic Surety Company offers numerous opportunities for our employees to grow and prosper. We have a culture of growth from within and we support our employees' pursuits in advancing their careers. We offer this in an open-door, collaborative workplace that encourages and rewards both teamwork and individual contributions. We want bright, passionate individuals who share our values and quest for success. To learn more about our company culture and our outstanding benefits, please visit our website and watch this video .
Interested? Click 'apply' and follow some very simple steps to get your resume in front of the Talent Acquisition Team. Old Republic Surety Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to maintaining a diverse workplace.