Job Description MD/DO - Pediatrician Whatever your interest, there is something for you! The Community - Virginia Beach, VA
Welcome to Virginia Beach! Finding great outdoor fun and adventure here is easy. Deciding among the options is the challenge. The waters of the Atlantic Ocean and the Chesapeake Bay are obvious draws, but swimming and beach time is just the beginning. Virginia Beach offers a variety of music and arts venues, a dozen public golf courses, miles and miles of hiking and biking paths, and our ever-growing Town Center is a gathering place offering dining, shopping and the 1,300 seat Sandler Center for the Performing Arts. The Farm Bureau Live Amphitheater is a 20,000 seat outdoor concert venue featuring national acts. Beach Street USA is a summer-long concert along the boardwalk, while all across the city, you can enjoy relaxing outdoor dining and fresh-caught seafood.
The Virginia Museum of Contemporary Art explores the significant art of our time with changing exhibitions from national and international artists, just minutes from the oceanfront. And for an up-close look at the amazing world of underwater life off our shores, the Virginia Aquarium and Marine Science Center is 700,000 gallons of mystery and entertainment. The touch tanks, exhibits and live animal habitats make it one of the top ten visited museums in the country. Branch Health Clinic (BHC) in Virginia Beach and Surrounding areas REQUIREMENTS
(duties include but are not limited to)
- Perform a full range of Pediatrician services for pediatric patients ((newborns, children, adolescents and young adults) on-site in a General Pediatrics Clinic, Newborn Care Clinic, Inpatient Pediatric units and Inpatient Newborn Nursery using government furnished supplies, facilities and equipment.
- Provide a full range of pediatric medicine services (e.g., clinically oversee and provide general screening and medical care and examinations of adolescents for routine, acute and chronic conditions involving any and all organ systems; provide immunizations; diagnose, treat, and counsel, developmental and learning disabilities (cerebral palsy, mental retardation, birth defects, ADHD, emotional problems and adjustments, and child abuse and neglect; etc.) .
- Clinically oversee, perform, or assist in the instruction of, other health care professionals and pediatric residents seeing children e.g., Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS); diagnostic procedures; and minor surgical procedures such as incisions and drainage of abscesses, suture simple lacerations; etc. .
- Clinically oversee and teach other medical staff and pediatric residents; provide educational lectures and participate in the provision of in-service training to clinic staff members. Such direction and interaction will adhere to government and professional clinical standards and accepted clinical protocol.
- Prescribe and dispense medications as delineated by the Pharmacy and Therapeutics Committee.
- Provide a full range of physician services in accordance with privileges granted by the Commanding Officer.
- Technically direct, perform, or assist in the instruction of other health care professionals seeing patients within the scope of their clinical privileges or responsibilities.
- Promote preventive and health maintenance care, including annual physicals, positive health behaviors, and self-care skills through education and counseling.
- Order diagnostic tests as applicable. Request consultation or referral with appropriate physicians, clinics, or other health resources as indicated.
- Technically direct and teach other medical staff, and provide educational lectures and participate in the provision of in-service training to clinic staff members. Such direction and interaction will adhere to government and professional clinical standards and accepted clinical protocols. This requirement is consistent with the personal services nature of the contract.
- Maintain a level of productivity comparable with that of other individuals performing similar services.
- Comply with the standards of The Joint Commission, applicable provisions of law, and the rules and regulations of any and all governmental authorities pertaining to licensure and regulation of health care personnel and medical treatment facilities, the regulations and standards of medical practice and the MTF's medical staff bylaws . Adhere to and comply with all Department of the Navy, Bureau of Medicine and Surgery, and local instructions and notices in effect during the term of the contract.
- Participate in peer review and performance improvement activities.
- Practice aseptic techniques as necessary. Comply with infection control guidelines to include the proper handling, storage, and disposal of infectious wastes and the use of universal precautions to prevent the spread of infection.
- Function with an awareness and application of safety procedures.
- Perform efficiently in emergency patient situations following established protocols, remaining calm, informing appropriate persons, and documenting events. Anticipate potential problems/emergencies and make appropriate interventions. Notify supervisor, director, or other designated person regarding problems that the Physician is unable to manage.
- Apply an awareness of legal issues in all aspects of patient care and strive to manage situations in a reduced risk manner.
- Participate in the implementation of the Family Advocacy Program as directed. Participation shall include, but not be limited to, appropriate medical examination, documentation, and reporting.
- Exercise awareness and sensitivity to patient/significant others' rights, as ident