Unum is a company of people serving people. As one of the world's leading employee benefits providers and a Fortune 500 company, Unum's financial protection benefits help protect more than 36 million working people and their families from the financial impact of illness or injury.
Unum's two distinct, but similarly focused US businesses Unum US and Colonial Life are each a market leader in making disability, life, accident, critical illness, dental, and vision insurance accessible in the workplace.
Headquartered in Chattanooga, Tennessee, Unum also has significant US operations in Portland, Maine and Baton Rouge, Louisiana - and over 35 field offices nationwide. Colonial Life is headquartered in Columbia, South Carolina with over 40 field offices nationwide. General Summary:
The Accounting and Finance Development Program provides Associates with high visibility within the Finance organization, as well as numerous opportunities to develop their career. The objective of the program is to develop and grow the Associates financial and business acumen, as well as the leadership skills necessary to prepare them for a Director role in the Finance organization upon successful completion of the Program
Features of the Program
The program consists of 1-2 cross functional job rotations within the Finance organization, and occasionally in other business units. Job rotation assignments may vary from 12-24 months depending on the role, complexity, and business needs. Finance rotations may include, but are not limited to, Accounting, Financial & Regulatory Reporting, Planning, Risk, Tax, Internal Audit and Corporate Finance. Participants will be rigorously assessed after each cross functional rotation before moving onto the next phase of the program.
Learning and Development
This program includes a training and development component that occurs throughout the program. The training is focused on growing your business acumen, financial acumen, and leadership skills.
Participants will be assigned a leadership mentor for the duration of the program to support them in their individual professional growth through personalized development plans. Also, as an integral part of this Program, Associates will be expected to assume an active role in managing important aspects of the business related to their specific rotational assignment
The program is structured with three distinct levels that help guide associates on their path to Director. These levels are based on the associates experience, required competencies and progress toward credentials. The levels help the associates navigate their progress and provide three entry points into the program for candidates. The levels begin at Associate, our level I, entry level position in the program, Sr. Associate level II and this role which is Manager level III. Please check out our Associate and Sr. Associate positions to decide which role best describes you. No matter where you enter the program there is no limit to the opportunities for you to learn and grow as a leader. Principle Duties and Responsibilities
- Successfully complete 1-2 rotations (previous work experience prior to Unum may count as rotations) as in various parts of the Finance organization and broader business units; outstanding work performance while in the assigned roles; demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and effectively with others; self-directed in completing high quality work within established timelines.
- Provide leadership and direction to work staff through either direct or indirect supervision responsibilities May actively participate in the hiring, development, performance, and compensation decisions affecting assigned staff.
- Provide coaching and mentoring to assist individuals in achieving their full potential. Build bench strength and core competencies for the organization.
- Serve as an expert level financial resource by providing highly complex financial analysis and support to inform and drive optimal solutions for the finance organization and/or operational areas.
- Lead and/or participate in business initiatives and projects.
- Present reporting and analysis to management, including those at officer levels. Proactively identify and research unusual and complex trends and make recommendations. Lead and/or perform analyses and forecasts.
- Demonstrate understanding of analysis by applying knowledge, anticipating issues, and demonstrating ownership of assigned tasks or processes. Leverage the analysis to make business recommendations.
- Continuous assessment of established training and work processes to identify, develop and drive effectiveness and efficiency improvements. Contributes to operating effectiveness through information sharing, suggested process improvements and effective implementation of change.
- Maintain a specialized working knowledge in assigned tasks and analysis of Unums products, services and business processes including, his/her specific business area, the issues and technical skills required to support the area.
- Seek out opportunities to increase business knowledge and create visibility within the finance organization as well as more broadly in the operational functions.
- Communicate issues identified, proactively recommend the most appropriate/effective resolutions and present effectively to management and officers.
- Lead special projects that require research and analysis. May involve partnering with other business areas to identify and resolve issues.
- Bachelors degree in Accounting, Finance, or other equivalent relevant specialty with minimum GPA of 3.0
- Must be CPA eligible and have passed all parts of the CPA, or passed all parts of the CMA or CFA
- 4+ years of accounting experience or equivalent relevant work experience.
- Demonstrated inclusive leadership through educational, professional, or life experiences
- Ability to act as a change agent and manage others through change. Ability to link understanding of business processes, business drivers, and changes to other areas and financial results and trends
- Strong understanding of the components of multiple financial statements and how they interact with one another
- Excellent communication, presentation, and negotiation skills; adept at handling group dynamics Adaptable and versatile and the ability to work with diverse groups of people
- Highly motivated individual able to independently identify problems and solutions and bring to manager
- Ability to prioritize work while working on multiple projects keeping track of and meeting due dates
- Advanced level Excel Skills
- Proficient in Word and PowerPoint
- General ledger systems and reporting tools experience preferred
- Meet the standards for this position, as defined in the Talent Management framework
Our company is built on helping individuals and families, and this starts with our employees. We want employees to maintain a positive balance, which is why we provide access to the benefits and resources they need to invest in themselves. From our onsite fitness facilities and generous paid time off to employee professional development programs, we are committed to helping employees live and work their best both inside and outside the office.
Unum is an equal opportunity employer, considering all qualified applicants and employees for hiring, placement, and advancement, without regard to a person's race, color, religion, national origin, age, genetic information, military status, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or protected veteran status.